Tripp J Crouse, KTOO
A recent transplant to Juneau from Iowa, Tripp J Crouse has more than 13 years of journalism and newspaper experience, and was previously the social media editor for the Quad-City Times of Davenport, Iowa, from April 2013 to July 2016.
Juneau police to increase enforcement of drunken driving laws on New Year’s Eve

If your New Year’s plans include impairing substances and going out, the Juneau Police Department wants you to plan for a designated driver.
Juneau police will be doubling down on officer-patrolling efforts for New Year’s Eve.
Sixteen officers will be on duty, including four who are assigned to investigate drunken driving, according to a department news release.
Participating businesses
Alaska Cache Liquor
Louie’s Douglas Inn
The Island Pub
Alaskan Hotel & Bar
Lucky Lady
Squirez
Duck Creek Market
McGivney’s Sports Bar & Grill
Triangle Club
Hangar on the Wharf
Moose Lodge
Viking Lounge & Billiard Parlor
Imperial Saloon
Rendezvous
The local branch of CHARR, the Cabaret, Hotel, Restaurant and Retailers Association, is also sponsoring its Safe Ride Home Program from participating locations.
Those wishing to use the Safe Ride program can have a bartender or server at a participating location call a special number and a free cab will come and pick them up.
Participating cabs will have signs and a green, flashing light. They’ll go to listed establishments first.
The holiday also brings increased use of fireworks.
Two people were cited Monday for using concussive fireworks during a prohibited time. Concussive fireworks, Juneau police say, go “boom.”
Safe use of concussive fireworks will be OK from 10 a.m. New Year’s Eve to 1 a.m. New Year’s Day. Using concussive fireworks outside of this time period, and south of Cohen Drive, is prohibited.
In November, Juneau Assembly postponed a proposed ordinance restricting fireworks use until April. In the mean time, the assembly encouraged police to enforce the city’s disturbing the peace code to tackle fireworks use.
The draft ordinance would restrict the use and possession of fireworks to holidays, such as New Year’s and the Fourth of July.
Why’s this SUV in Gold Creek?

Someone found this white, 1994 Chevy SUV resting on its passenger side Wednesday morning inside a channelized portion of Gold Creek near Cope Park, just upstream of the Irwin Street bridge.
The Juneau Police Department received a call at 8:17 a.m. about the car in the creek. Its hood was damaged and the driver’s side mirror was bent.
“There are footprints leading away from the vehicle,” Lt. David Campbell said in a voicemail.
How it got in there is a mystery, for now.
“We’ve been unable to get in touch with the transfer-pending owner,” Campbell said.
Later, Capitol Towing was working on pulling it out of the creek.
Police: Drunken driver smashes IGA wall, causes $40,000-$50,000 damage
A 39-year-old was arrested on a drunken driving charge after a Chevy Tahoe Sunday struck a brick wall at Foodland IGA on Sunday.
The property manager estimated repairs would cost $40,000 to $50,000. Bricks were broken, and the wall was cracked and bowing.
The alleged driver, Joshua J. Hunnel, was arrested for felony driving while intoxicated, refusal to submit to a breath test and failure to provide immediate notice of accident.
According to a Juneau Police Department news release, at about 4:50 p.m., police responded to a report that the green Chevy Tahoe Hunnel struck the IGA wall.
Officers learned the Tahoe had left the area quickly.
At about 5:18 p.m., an officer located the SUV parked outside an apartment complex on Northwood Drive with damage consistent with the collision reported.
Hunnel was found in a nearby residence and arrested. He was taken to Lemon Creek Correctional Center.
Hunnel’s arraignment was scheduled for Monday afternoon.
Photos and audio postcard from the governor’s holiday open house
Gov. Bill Walker and First Lady Donna Walker opened the governor’s house for a holiday open house Tuesday.
Listen to this audio postcard by APRN and KTOO’s Andrew Kitchenman. He speaks with Michelle Weaver, Andrew Waldron, Cindy Isaac, Anne Doyle, Larry Grant, Michelle Morris and Gov. Bill Walker about the open house.
“I think it’s really fun to get a chance to meet the governor and to eat cookies,” said Michelle Weaver, who attended the open house. “The warm cider is always good. And so it’s just a fun tradition. So it’s exciting to get to share.”
The annual holiday open house has been a tradition since 1913, only taking two years off during World War II.
Governor’s Mansion holiday open house is Tuesday

The annual holiday open house at the Governor’s Mansion is scheduled for 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesday.
The house at 716 Calhoun Avenue was built in 1912. The open house has been an annual tradition since 1913, when then-territorial Gov. Walter Eli Clark began the tradition. The open house was not held for two years during World War II.
Guests in line will be served hot apple cider and holiday treats. Heaters will be provided for those waiting outside.
Several community music groups and individuals will perform.
Individuals with special access needs should contact Lisa Boman at 907-465-3500 to arrange advance entry.
Parts of Indian Street around the mansion will be closed for the duration of the event.
Gov. Bill Walker plans to take questions from reporters beforehand.
















