Tripp J Crouse, KTOO

A recent transplant to Juneau from Iowa, Tripp J Crouse has more than 13 years of journalism and newspaper experience, and was previously the social media editor for the Quad-City Times of Davenport, Iowa, from April 2013 to July 2016.

Juneau’s recorded wind speed blows away Coast Guard retiree

A cold weather phenomenon known as the Taku winds causes white caps and water to mist into the air on Friday, January 6, 2017, on the Gastineau Channel as seen from the U.S. Coast Guard Juneau station. National Weather Service issued a high wind warning for Juneau and Southeast Alaska that will last until Sunday afternoon, January 8, 2017. The warning was for hazardous high winds of about 60 to 80 mph. (Photo by Tripp J Crouse/KTOO)
A cold weather phenomenon known as the Taku winds causes white caps and water to mist into the air Friday, Jan. 6, 2017, on the Gastineau Channel as seen from U.S. Coast Guard Station Juneau. (Photo by Tripp J Crouse/KTOO)

John Hollis began serving in the Coast Guard in 1974. He transferred to Juneau three years later for a 13-month stint in public affairs.

“I liked it up there. My main job was to answer press queries,” Hollis said. “The biggest thing while I was there was the oil came down to Valdez, and worked that extensively.”

Hollis asks: What’s the highest wind speed recorded in Juneau? The answer will blow away this Coast Guard retiree.

Curious Juneau stars you and your questions. Every episode we help you find an answer. Catch up on past episodes, or ask your own question on the Curious Juneau page.

Hollis, 70, grew up in Southern California, but he said the weather he remembers in Juneau was somewhat comparable. Except it gets a little windier here.

“There’s an area south and just inland from Juneau where the wind just tunnels through there, just outrageous amounts of wind. I just don’t remember getting that kind of wind the one winter I was there in Juneau – not outrageous amounts of wind.”

So I called Sharon Sullivan, who’s a meteorologist intern at the National Weather Service.

She said records downtown are a little inconsistent because sensors are placed in different areas. And historically, there were just poor records.

“We did find at least the Federal Building had 78 mph wind gust Jan. 7, 2017, and some of the other ones was listing 57, 60 mph,” she said. “The airport we had — the highest recorded there was 92 mph at the airport on Nov. 1, 1969.”

She said in March this year, gusts of about 72 mph were recorded at the Juneau docks. Some Taku wind gusts in 2011 and 2015 reached as high as 85 mph.

“I think the one in 2015, a 15,000-pound gangway in the Douglas Boat Harbor was actually moved as a result of these higher wind speeds,” Sullivan said. “It takes a lot of force to move that.”

John Hollis retired from the Coast Guard in 1995, and later worked in publishing in Southern California. He and his wife now live in North Carolina to be closer to their grandchildren.

His memory of the winds as he experienced was fuzzy. He guessed they topped out around 20 or 30 mph, “Enough to certainly catch your attention.”

When I tell him they topped 90 mph at the airport, this was his reaction.

Hollis came back to Juneau about eight or nine years ago on a cruise ship. But he still remembers his commute from Douglas to the Coast Guard office in the Federal Building, all those years ago.

“The worst thing when I would walk to work in the winter, crossing the bridge, I would get all the snow going right in my ear.  That wasn’t very fun.

That doesn’t sound fun at all.

Morning update — Thursday, April 12, 2018

In this newscast:

  • Juneau Empire and Alaska sister papers sold again: The Peninsula Clarion, Juneau Empire and weekly Homer News are being acquired by a Canadian chain just six months after being sold to GateHouse Media.The newest owner is Seattle-based Sound Publishing that owns papers in the states of Washington, California and Hawaii.
  • Regulators OK Juneau settlement with Hydro One: The settlement between Hydro One and City and Borough of Juneau over the acquisition of the capital city’s electric company has been mostly accepted by state regulators. The Canadian power company is buying the parent company of Alaska Electric Light and Power and needs regulatory approval in all five states where it operates, including Alaska.
  • Alaska Senate set to debate state budget on Thursday: The full state Senate is scheduled to debate amendments to the state’s operating budget Thursday. The Senate Finance Committee passed the budget, House Bill 286, on Tuesday. The committee substituted its own version of the budget bill for the one the House passed.
  • Alaska official says state likely to lead U.S. in STD rates: An Alaska public health nurse says the state’s recent outbreak of chlamydia and gonorrhea is likely to place it in the top tier of national rankings for the two sexually transmitted diseases.

You can hear these stories and more at ktoo.sandbox.5mts.com/listen.

Morning update — Wednesday, April 11, 2018

In this newscast:

  • Former Planned Parenthood worker rejected for midwives board: The Alaska Legislature rejected the appointment of a Palmer woman who is a former Planned Parenthood worker to a board that oversees midwives.
    Kenni Linden was the only one of Gov. Bill Walker’s appointees who was rejected out of 99 people up for confirmation on Tuesday.
  • Alaskan educators advocate for increased K-12 funding: School administrators, teachers and parents from across the state testified before the House Finance Committee on Tuesday in support of increased school funding, House Bill 339, which would increase the base student allocation by $100 to $6,030.
  • Court reviews $12.5 million offer for Juneau mall: A California-based developer has offered $12.5 million to buy the Nugget Mall in Juneau’s Mendenhall Valley. It comes from Aventine Development Corporation in an as-is deal for the 44-year-old mall that’s struggled with tenant vacancies and maintenance problems in recent years.

You can hear these stories and more at ktoo.sandbox.5mts.com/listen.

Attorneys in cruise ship murder case will split up blood evidence, notice says

Passengers wait aboard the Emerald Princess moored on the South Franklin Street Dock in Juneau on Wednesday, July 27, 2017. The FBI investigated an alleged murder after a Utah woman died the day before on the ship.
Passengers wait aboard the Emerald Princess moored on the South Franklin Street Dock in Juneau on Wednesday, July 27, 2017. The FBI investigated an alleged homicide after a Utah woman died the day before on the ship. (Photo by Tripp J Crouse/KTOO)

Both parties in a cruise ship murder case have agreed on how to handle blood evidence in the case, according to a notice the Public Defender’s Office entered Friday into U.S. District Court.

Kenneth Manzanares, 40, faces federal trial on a felony first-degree murder charge in the death of his wife aboard a cruise ship last summer in Southeast Alaska waters.

He pleaded not guilty in August. The government will not seek the death penalty against the Utah man.

During various warranted searches, authorities took four 10-milliliter tubes of blood from Manzanares.

Attorneys in the case contested how to handle that evidence. In March, Manzanares’ Public Defender Jamie McGrady filed a motion to preserve the blood evidence in the case. The next day the U.S. Attorney’s Office filed a response.

The notice says that the U.S. Attorney’s Office agrees to keep two vials of the defendant’s blood for testing, and provide the remaining two vials to the defense for independent testing.

Both parties in the case also requested that an April 11 hearing regarding the motion to preserve evidence be vacated, according to the notice.

Trial by jury is scheduled to begin Nov. 5. If convicted, Manzanares could face life in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Plea agreement in Cotten case outlines drug deals

A plea agreement entered Wednesday for a former Bergmann Hotel manager outlines the 2017 drug deals that led to his arrest.

Charles Edward Cotten Jr. was arrested in October and charged with four counts of federal felony drug distribution.

The agreement says Cotten will plead guilty to all four charges. He admits to selling 112 grams of methamphetamine.

In exchange, the 52-year-old Cotten will get a 10-year prison sentence, and 10 years of supervised release. Without the deal, he could face up to 40 years in prison, a lifetime on supervised release, and $5 million in fines.

On four different days in 2017, Cotten sold methamphetamine to people cooperating with law enforcement. The agreement says Cotten used a 1995 Harley-Davidson in the distribution of the drugs. He’ll forfeit the motorcycle.

The government seized the M/V Northwind, a 34-foot cabin cruiser built in 1974, in the arrest, but it wasn’t worth keeping. Harbormaster David Borg says City and Borough of Juneau impounded the boat for non-payment. It sank in early January. The city hauled it out of the water and later destroyed it.

According to the agreement, Cotten was previously convicted in Missouri for the manufacture of a controlled substance.

When Cotten was arrested in October 2017, he had a .45-caliber handgun in his vehicle and 391.9 grams of a drug mixture containing methamphetamine.

A sealed addendum to the plea agreement was also entered April 4. A change of plea hearing is tentatively scheduled for April 11.

Cotten’s co-defendant in one count, Ricky Stapler Lisk, pleaded guilty in February. His sentencing is scheduled for October.

Morning update — Thursday, April 5, 2018

In this newscast:

You can hear these stories and more at ktoo.sandbox.5mts.com/listen.

Site notifications
Update notification options
Subscribe to notifications