Family

Federal officials seek to stop social media abuse of nursing home residents

An inspection found that at one Los Angeles nursing home an employee took video of a co-worker "passing gas" on the face of a resident and posted it on Instagram.
An inspection found that at one Los Angeles nursing home an employee took video of a co-worker “passing gas” on the face of a resident and posted it on Instagram. (Universal Images Group/Getty Images)

Editor’s note: This story contains language that some may find offensive.

Federal health regulators have announced plans to crack down on nursing home employees who take demeaning photographs and videos of residents and post them on social media.

The move follows a series of ProPublica reports that have documented abuses in nursing homes and assisted living centers using social media platforms such as Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram. These include photos and videos of residents who were naked, covered in feces or even deceased. They also include images of abuse.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees nursing homes, said in a memo to state health departments on Friday that they should begin checking to make sure that all nursing homes have policies prohibiting staff from taking demeaning photographs of residents. The memo also calls on state officials to quickly investigate such complaints and report offending workers to state licensing agencies for investigation and possible discipline. State health departments help enforce nursing home rules for the federal government.

“Nursing homes must establish an environment that is as homelike as possible and includes a culture and environment that treats each resident with respect and dignity,” said the memo signed by David Wright, director of the CMS survey and certification group. “Treating a nursing home resident in any manner that does not uphold a resident’s sense of self-worth and individuality dehumanizes the resident and creates an environment that perpetuates a disrespectful and/or potentially abusive attitude towards the resident(s).”

CMS said that nursing homes have a responsibility to protect residents’ privacy, to prohibit abuse, to provide training on how to prevent abuse and to investigate all allegations of abuse. If homes fail to do so, they can face citations, fines and theoretically even termination from the Medicare program.

Also last week, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa and chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, called on other federal agencies to take action on the problem. He sent letters to the Department of Justice and to the Office for Civil Rights within the Department of Health and Human Services asking whether “rules and protections are in place to prevent and punish these types of abuses.” He also has sent letters to social media companies, calling on them to pay more attention to this. The Office for Civil Rights is working on its own guidance related to social media but hasn’t released it yet.

In a statement to ProPublica, Grassley praised the new CMS memo. “This guidance is welcome and necessary,” he wrote. “Nursing homes are obligated under the law to keep their residents free from abuse. Exploitation on social media is a form of abuse, and the agency memo makes that clear. We need to prevent it, and we need to punish it when it happens.”

ProPublica has identified 47 instances since 2012 in which workers at nursing homes and assisted-living centers shared photos or videos of residents on social media networks. This includes three discovered in recent weeks. At one Los Angeles nursing home, an employee took video of a co-worker “passing gas” on the face of a resident and posted it on Instagram, according to a May inspection report.

“An interview was conducted with Resident 1 and the resident stated that facility employees pass gas in his face as often as every month,” the report said. One employee resigned and a police report was filed.

While some states have taken harsh steps against nursing homes at which social media abuse occurs, other states have not. We reported last month that Iowa health officials recently discovered it wasn’t against state law for a nursing home worker to share a photo on Snapchat of a resident covered in feces because his genitals weren’t visible. Officials are trying to change the law when the Iowa Legislature reconvenes early next year.

The federal government memo sets uniform standards for how such abuse should be written up by inspectors and the severity of sanctions that should be levied. In the past, there was great variability.

Last month, the industry’s trade group issued its own suggestions for dealing with such situations, encouraging training and swift responses by these facilities when allegations are brought to light. The group also is holding training events around the country. While many facilities ban the use or possession of cell phones by employees when in resident areas, some have also found such rules impractical to enforce.

Greg Crist, a spokesman for the American Health Care Association, the trade group, said the CMS memo dovetails with the industry’s effort to stop social media abuse.

“The two words in that CMS directive that stand out most to me are ‘privacy’ and ‘responsibility,’ ” Crist wrote in an email Monday. “That’s why we have taken responsibility and made a concerted, nationwide effort to educate and share best practices with our centers not only on how to detect and root out this abuse, but also proactive steps to ensure it doesn’t happen in the first place.

“It’s not an issue that is conquered overnight,” he wrote, “but every day, we get smarter about it.”

Has your medical privacy been compromised? Help ProPublica investigate by filling out a short questionnaire. You can also read other stories in our Policing Patient Privacy series.

Copyright 2016 ProPublica. To see more, visit ProPublica.

Phone scams target Kenai Peninsula seniors

A common phone scam is once again making an appearance on the Kenai Peninsula. But this time, scammers are targeting seniors.

Michelle Tabler, Alaska Regional Manager for the Better Business Bureau, says she has gotten several reports of the so-called “Publishers Clearinghouse scam” in Homer and Soldotna.

“It’s a typical lottery scam, but in this situation, they’re telling people that they’ve won Publishers Clearinghouse or they call it PCH. The amount varies several million dollars. Then they call back and say, well there’s some fees associated with this and that there’s some taxes,” said Tabler.

The scammers tell victims they must send money or gift cards before they can receive their sweepstakes prize.

“We just want people to know that these are not legitimate phone calls and you should never have to pay any fees if you ever have won. We advise people just to hang up the phone. You didn’t really win,” said Tabler.

Residents who suspect they were a victim of a phone scam should report it to their local police department. More information can be found on the Better Business Bureau website, www.bbb.org.

Transgender student temporarily blocked by U.S. Supreme Court from using male bathroom

Gavin Grimm, a transgender student, speaks during an interview at his home in Gloucester, Va., in 2015. (Steve Helber, Associated Press)
Gavin Grimm, a transgender student, speaks during an interview at his home in Gloucester, Va., in 2015. (Steve Helber, Associated Press)

The U.S. Supreme Court is temporarily blocking a transgender male high school student in Virginia from using the boy’s bathroom.

We’ve reported on the case of Gavin Grimm in the past. If you remember, Grimm scored a big victory when the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that his school in Gloucester County, Va., should have followed the federal government’s interpretation of Title IX, which calls for schools to treat “transgender students consistent with their gender identity.”

A lower court issued an injunction that put the school’s policy on hold and would have allowed Grimm to use the boy’s bathroom.

Lawyers for the Gloucester County School Board asked the Supreme Court to put that injunction on hold while they filed an appeal with the high court.

Yesterday, the court ruled 5-3 in favor of doing so, though Justice Stephen Breyer made it clear that he was joining the majority only “as a courtesy.”

Joshua Block, an ACLU attorney who has been working on the Grimm case, said he was disappointed by the ruling.

“What is really sad,” Block said, “is there’s a good chance that even if Gavin wins this case, it’s not going to come in time for him to actually” enjoy the victory while he’s still in high school. Grimm, 17, will be entering his senior year in the fall.

The grant from the Supreme Court, said Block, essentially pauses the case and allows a policy that says boys and girls bathrooms are limited to “corresponding biological genders” to go into effect. The school is also providing a unisex bathroom that Grimm could use.

A petition for a writ of certiorari, or a petition for the court to hear the appeal, is due by Aug. 29, but the court might not hand down a yes or a no until October.

If the court denies the cert, the stay goes away. If it decides to hear the case, the stay remains in place until the court hears oral arguments and issues a decision.

“Whether someone thinks the underlying decision is right or wrong, what’s disappointing is the notion that simply allowing someone to use the bathroom would result in a form of irreparable harm,” Block said.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that the school district welcomed the high court’s action:

“Reached on vacation, School Board Chairman Troy Andersen said he was aware of the Supreme Court’s decision but had not read it. He declined to comment.

“The School Board, through its attorney, issued a statement Wednesday evening saying it ‘welcomes the Supreme Court’s decision as the new school year approaches.’

“‘The board continues to believe that its resolution of this complex matter fully considered the interests of all students and parents in the Gloucester County school system,’ the board said in the statement.”

One thing to keep in mind is that this case is not testing the constitutionality of policies that restrict bathroom use to biological sex. Instead, it is weighing whether excluding transgender kids from certain restrooms amounts to sex discrimination under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.

The dueling lawsuits filed by the federal government and North Carolina over that state’s restroom restrictions are separate from this case.

Copyright 2016 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

Aerial performance group, including former Homer resident, to perform at Salmonfest

Quixotic is an aerial-performance dance group based in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo courtesy of Quixotic)
Quixotic is an aerial-performance dance group based in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo courtesy of Quixotic)

Quixotic, an aerial performance group, will perform at Salmonfest, a three-day music festival that occurs the first weekend of August at the Kenai Peninsula Fairgrounds, Ninilchik.

This year, the festival will showcase an artist who grew up in Homer, Mica Thomas who helps produce lighting for an aerial group from Kansas City, Missouri.

Thomas said, describing Quixotic as creating an experience. “It’s kind of where you’d go to watch a performing arts piece mixed with a concert, and how you merge all those things together to create spectacle and broaden the imagination,” Thomas said.

Quixotic will perform Saturday, Aug. 6, at midnight during the festival, and their performance is scheduled to go until 2 am.

Thomas and his business partner, Anthony Magliano, are the producers of Quixotic. Magliano is the founder and artistic director of the group, whereas Thomas mostly focuses on the lighting aspects of the show.

This year, Quixotic is one of four headliners for the Kenai’s annual Salmonfest.

Jim Stearns, the director and producer of Salmonfest, says that this year has one of the strongest line-ups the festival has had yet.

“Indigo Girls are the top act, although Trampled by Turtles is a very, very close second,” Stearns said. “They’ve been on a mediocre rise since they were here (at Salmonfest) three years ago.

Although Thomas is the only member of the group from Alaska, this is not the group’s first performance in the state. Quixotic did an Alaska Tour two years ago, and performed in Fairbanks, Anchorage and at the Mariner Theater, Homer.

Getting the entire group and all of their equipment up to Alaska requires a lot of work, Thomas says, so they can only bringing a few members of their cast and crew with them. They even had to ship a portable aerial truss all the way from Kansas City to make this performance happen.

The group is bringing some great aerial performers, live music from percussionist Simon Huntly and violinist Shane Borth and some light to accompany the darkness of the midnight show, Thomas said.

“We’re doing lots of fire performances as well within the show we’re bringing to Salmonfest,” Thomas said. “So we wanted to make sure that we could work with kind of having darkness around to help make all the fire performance shine a little brighter.”

The fire acts will be integrated into the performance, alongside aerial performers and dancers, who will perform in front of a canvas screen that Thomas will produce the light shows on during the performance.

Quixotic are comparable to the famous Cirque du Soleil, whom the group have collaborated with in the past. Thomas says that he’s looking forward to sharing the Quixotic experience with fellow Alaskans.

“I mean I’m excited for the whole festival,” Thomas said. “I’ve never been able to go to the festival before, and I’ve been hearing about it for years and years and years, and so I’m really excited to just go check out the whole experience as a whole.”

Quixotic also is providing aerial-teaching classes in Homer, Aug. 9-13, in the Mat Room at the High School.

You can find more information on how to sign up for the classes by calling the Homer Council on the Arts at 907-235-4288, or by visiting their website at www.homerart.org.

Haines police chief puts school resource officer idea on hold

Haines police chief Heath Scott wants to expand the four-officer department, but placing a school resource officer at Haines School District is no longer a priority. (Jillian Rogers, KHNS)
Haines police chief Heath Scott wants to expand the four-officer department, but placing a school resource officer at Haines School District is no longer a priority. (Jillian Rogers, KHNS)

Haines police chief Heath Scott wants to expand the four-officer department.

Initially, Scott thought potential expansion could include a school resource officer for the Haines School District. But after more consideration, he’s stepped back from that idea.

Scott said placing a school resource officer at Haines School was a priority for him, at first.

“Fundamentally that comes out of me being a parent, a taxpayer,” Scott said. “I see the benefit of school resources officers in communities I’ve worked in in the past.”

Hesitation from community members, including new school superintendent Tony Habra, made him re-think that approach.

Habra said from what he heard from the administration and school board, a resource officer is not needed in the school, he said in an interview a few weeks ago.

“There was some movement on (the school resource officer idea) prior to having that discussion with the administration here, with the board here,” Habra said. “So that’s a premature decision.”

“I think the new school administrator, having a new borough manager and having me coming in, the general consensus among us is that we need to take some time so that we understand our roles, understand what the community needs,” Scott said.

Scott came into the Haines job with a “preconceived notion” of a police department that has a good relationship with the community, he said. He’s realized that it’ll take time to build trust.

Even if he did want to put an officer in the school right now, Scott said, it would be irresponsible given the department’s limited manpower.

“Here’s the major concern. There’s 24 hours in a day, and you have four officers.”

The level of staffing isn’t acceptable to him, he said. That’s why Scott encouraged former acting chief Josh Dryden to apply for a Community-Oriented Policing Services, or COPS, grant through the U.S. Department of Justice. It’s a three-year grant that funds 75 percent of a new officer’s salary, up to $125,000.

“Prior to me coming, you’ve had a department of at times two (officers), at times three, and those guys are tired,” Scott said. “They have to go on leave, they have to go to training. And I have to be cognizant of this stuff.”

Scott expects to hear back about the grant this fall.

Directing limited manpower to the school probably wouldn’t be in the community’s best interest, because the Haines force is small and stretched, Scott said. He still thinks it might be a good idea in the future.

“If the community wants it, and the school system wants it, the police chief wants it, the mayor, and borough and assembly wants it, it’s a good idea,” he said. “And I just don’t know if all of that’s there. It may be too early to say that. Now, it would irresponsible to say we’re not doing it. Because we don’t know what may come in two years, and it may be the right time then.”

For now, Scott says he’s resolved to pay attention to what the community wants and take changes – like putting an officer in the school – slowly. But he does plan to apply for grants and talk to the borough about how to expand the department.

Formline allows children to express themselves with traditional artform

Ron Fairbanks teaching kids how to paint formline. (Aaron Bolton, KSTK)
Ron Fairbanks teaching kids how to paint formline. (Aaron Bolton, KSTK)

The Alaska Native Sisterhood Association – or ANSA – wrapped up a three-day Native art class for Wrangell children Aug. 3. About 20 kids gathered to learn the traditional artform known as formline, the art of the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian tribes of Southeast Alaska.

“They’re fun to work with,” said Ron Fairbanks, an art teacher in Craig, who taught the class. “I just had a little guy come up to me now and say ‘this has been the funnest three days of my life.’ I just thought that was awesome. So it’s been really good.”

They used formline’s shapes known as ovoids and trigons, arranged in spatially conscious ways to depict salmon heads, bears, eagles and other wildlife.

Aleah, 14, used thick red and black painted lines depicting an eagle hovering above a bear to make her piece.

“I did an eagle and a bear head and added other stuff onto it,” Aleah said.

Traditionally formline would be painted on a canoe paddle or clothing. But, this time it’s on a skateboard.

“I really enjoyed that medium of putting artwork on something you could ride, something contemporary, something new and can engage the kids with it,” said Fairbanks. “It really seems to hook them as a fun way to put formline on something you can use.”

Tis Peterman of ANSA said the goal of these grant-funded classes is to engage kids in Native art and culture.

“In fact, one of our students went to the dentist this morning and they wanted to buy his skateboard, and it’s not even finished yet,” Peterman said.

ANSA has put on other classes such as skin-sewing and beading, Peterman said. The association has one more month of funding to put on another class for kids and are still looking for ideas.

Site notifications
Update notification options
Subscribe to notifications